First Nations Drinking Water Settlement

Drinking water lawsuit filing deadline is March 7, 2023

March 21,2022

Notice to the NFN Membership and Members of other First Nations

The Canadian government is settling a class action lawsuit being handled by McCarthy, Tetrault & OKT for the Nipissing First Nation Drinking Water Advisory Period of April 16, 2007 to February 20, 2015. It includes all of Nipissing First Nation communities. NFN is submitting a list of all our registered members who meet the criteria. Because people move during different periods of their life, we may have missed you! Please check with our office to confirm your name is submitted by calling 705-753-2922. If your name is included on our list, you do not need to submit your own claim unless you suffered specific injuries.

If your name was missed, or you would like to file on your own, or you are from another First Nation and resided on Nipissing First Nation for a minimum of one year during the claim period, you can file a claim by using online or hard copy forms.

In order to make a claim you must:

  • Be a member of a First Nation and resided on Nipissing First Nation from April 16, 2007 to February 20, 2015; and
  • Ordinarily resided on Nipissing First Nation for a minimum period of one year during that time frame;
  • If you were born before November 20, 1995, you can claim from November 20, 2013 to February 20, 2015;
  • If you were born after November 20, 1995 you can claim from April 16, 2007 to February 20, 2015;
  • If you have a loved one who was alive on November 20, 2017 you can claim for their estate using the dates listed above using the Representative Claim Form;
  • If you are claiming for a minor child or a person under a disability you use the Representative Claim Form.

The deadline date to file a claim is March 7, 2023. After the claim period ends, the Administrator will pay eligible claims for compensation.

To view and submit a Claims Form please visit:
For questions about claims process of the Claim Form, contact the Administrator Help Line toll-free at 1-833-252-4220.
For legal questions or assistance with making a claim, contact Class Counsel at no cost: c[email protected] and 1-833-265-7589

Should you need assistance with filing your claim in paper format or using the online form, please contact the Lands & Membership Office at 705-753-2922 or the Administrator directly and someone will be pleased to help you.
For more info please visit: