Settling an Estate of a Nipissing First Nation Member

Q: What should I do when a loved one dies?
A: An estate has to be settled if they own property on Reserve, have a Certificate of Possession and lived on reserve at time of death.

Q: Have you obtained proof of death?
A: Death certificate is required to begin settling the estate and/or registering the death of the deceased.

Q: Did the deceased have a will?
A: Original will has to be provided to Indian Affairs in order to start the estate.  If there is no will, you will have to fill out an application for administration.

Q: Who are the deceased’s family members?
A: We will need the names and addresses of the deceased family members. Once we receive these documents, they will be forwarded to Indian Affairs Sudbury to appoint an administrator or executor to settle the estate.

Learn more about Making a Will.

Contact Information

Juliette McLeod, Membership Clerk
705-753-2922 ext. 1247

Lee McLeod-Faubert, Lands Registration Clerk
705-753-2922 ext. 1283 

To contact staff by email, please visit our Contact Us page.