– 314 Yes Votes
– 173 No Votes
Download the Unofficial Results here
Download the Official Vote Results here
WATCH THE VOTE COUNT ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
Nipissing First Nation Administration – YouTube
Chief and Council have decided to hold a second vote on the Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreement (ANGA) in February 2021 via mail-in ballots and electronic voting due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We encourage our citizens to ask questions, and to openly discuss what this agreement means for Nipissing. This agreement alone is not self-governance, but it’s a step forward in getting out from under the Indian Act by recognizing our authority in these four key areas of governance and providing long-term, sustainable funding for:
- Citizenship – deciding who belongs to – or who is a “citizen” of – Nipissing First Nation
- Leadership Selection – deciding how we choose our leaders (Custom Election Regulations)
- Language & Culture – deciding how we revitalize Nbisiing Nishnaabemwin, culture and traditions
- Management and Operations – being accountable to our citizens, not the Minister of Indian Affairs
This agreement is a tool to support the future development of Nipissing First Nation through new stable funding that we control based on our nation’s priorities, as determined by our citizens. It only applies to four areas for now, but Nipissing’s amount is at least four times more funding than what we’ve been receiving under the Indian Act.
We encourage you to learn more about how this agreement can help us build a brighter future together for current and future generations of Nipissing citizens.
We hosted three virtual information sessions for members to hear presentations and to ask questions before the voting period (February 1-27, 2021). Presenters included Fred Bellefeuille, Lisa Restoule-Brazier, Patrick Madahbee and Murray Pridham.
- Fred Bellefeuille, Legal Director for the Anishinabek Nation
- Lisa Restoule-Brazier, Governance Regional Communications Coordinator – Lake Huron Region
Important Documents & Media Clips:
- Letter to Citizens from Chief Scott McLeod
- Just the Facts about the Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreement
- Nipissing FN votes to ratify new governance agreement (North Bay Nugget – March 2, 2021)
- Anishinaabe Governance is the journey and evolution of Anishinabek (Anishinabek News – February 18, 2021)
- Nipissing FN holds second governance agreement vote (North Bay Nugget – February 4, 2021)
- Ending Indian Act Governance – What we have now under the Indian Act, and what we can have under the ANGA
- First Nations Control of the Anishinabek Nation Government
- Myth Busters – FACTS address common misconceptions about the ANGA
- Explanation of the Second Vote Process
- Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreement – Plain Language Version
- Anishinabek Nation Fiscal Agreement – Plain Language Version
- The full versions of both agreements are available by contacting Gen Couchie at 705-498-2507 or [email protected].
Anishinaabe Governance is…
- Taking Control of our Future
- Living by Anishinaabe Law
- How our First Nation Government Operates
- Our Own Leadership Selection Laws
- About Citizenship, Identity & Belonging
- Protecting Anishinaabe Rights
- Setting Priorities & Working Together
- About First Nation Autonomy & Anishinabek Unity
- About how the Anishinabek Nation Education Agreement and the Governance Agreement work together to support Participating First Nations
- Notice of Vote to NFN members
- Instructions on How to Cast a Mail-in Ballot
- Mail-in Ballot Identification Envelope
- OneFeather Electronic Voting Process
For more information, please visit:
Contact Gen Couchie, NFN Communications Officer at 705-753-2050 ext. 1270 or [email protected] if you have any questions, or to request information by mail, email or fax.
For information about voting, please contact Laura Commanda, NFN Ratification Officer, at 705-753-2050 ext. 1221 or [email protected].