Frequently Asked Questions

How much do I get for allowance?

As a single student, you are entitled to $1,250 monthly.  This is paid to you semi-monthly on the 1st and 15th.  If either date falls on a weekend or holiday, the payment will be deposited into your account early.

This allowance is paid to you only while you are in school.  Your allowance does not continue during the summer while you not attending school.

Are all my tuition costs covered?

Tuition is covered at a maximum of $5,000 for College and $7,000 for University.  Health and Dental fees are only covered when there is no option to opt-out of this plan.  If you can opt-out and choose to continue your coverage, you will be responsible for the fees.

If my residence/meal fees are paid, will I still get an allowance?

The average allowance for a single student from the beginning of September until the end of April is $10,000.  Residence and meal fees are paid out of this amount. If there is a remainder, the amount will be divided by 16 and disbursed to you semi-monthly. For example:

Residence fees        $5,000
Meal fees                 $3,000        
Remainder              $2,000 / 16 payments = $125 per allowance distribution

If the Residence/meal fees are greater than $10,000, the outstanding fees are the responsibility of the student.

What do I do if a tuition invoice (bill) is sent to me?

Call the NFN Education Office immediately at 705-753-6995 to make sure we have also received a copy of the invoice.  In some cases the institution sends information such as invoices directly to the students, and not to the NFN Education Office.  We cannot pay tuition fees until we receive an official invoice.

Why do I get a copy of the Sponsorship Letter?

As a sponsored student, you are given a copy of the Sponsorship Letter, so that you have proof that the NFN Education Office has advised the institution of your sponsorship.  In the event that you receive a tuition bill, you can contact the finance office at your institution and provide them with a copy of your sponsorship letter.   You should also contact the NFN Education Office in this situation.

Contact Information

Geraldeana Goulais, Gchi-Kinoomaajiwgamik Gchi-Kinoomaagewin Waadookaaged (Post-Secondary Education Support Worker)
705-753-6995 ext. 1321 | [email protected]

Office Address:  70 Semo Road, Garden Village ON  P2B 3K2